Harddisk cloning software

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Thu Dec 25 13:53:36 UTC 2008

> Does anyone know some harddisk cloning software that is accessible?

The common tool is just to use the "dd" program from the
command-line to clone one drive to another one.  It's somewhat
dangerous if misused, so BE CAREFUL to read the man-pages
carefully.  However, the basics would be (assuming "hda" is your
source and "hdb" is your destination drive) something like

   dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

BE CAREFUL.  I've tromped atop my hard-drive using this before
(accidentally getting the wrong destination device), so make sure
you've got a backup and you triple-check your parameters.

-tim

PS:  Did I mention to BE CAREFUL?  *smile*