Blogging software

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Feb 3 13:51:58 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Apparently I was unclear on a few things.  I have access to a Debian
server already.  I've set up Apache and php4.  I've installed many CMSs
before but had problems with them, either because of lack of
accessibility or they were too complicated to figure out.  I have domain
names coming out my ears.  I have no interest in paying a web host
because I already have the server.  I don't have a local Linux machine
or local web server.  I guess it sounds like I'm looking for a lot but
really I'm not.  I just want a basic blog engine that lets me easily
write posts without a bunch of maintenance and configuration.  I didn't
mind WordPress but it looked hard to configure and seems to have
security issues.

If there is no accessible vlog engine that runs under Linux which does
what I want, I would like to know what third party site to use.  My
preference would be to use the server that's already available.  I'm not
going to pay anything because I don't see any point.  I don't really
want to deal with tons of plugins and themes.  I just want to either
login with ssh, write my entry and have it do the work or login to the
web interface and be put directly on an edit page.  I don't need lots of
other things for now.

I'm well aware of how hard it is to move from one CMS to another which
is why I'm not settled on one.  I don't really want to find out later
that I'm limited in what I can do, but if that's the price of
simplicity, I guess I can live with it.  Again, podcasts are something
way down the road but not a major requirement.  My main reason for
wanting standards-compliant feeds is to avoid parse errors with feed
readers.  A built-in search engine and "about the blog" boilerplate
would be nice bonuses but aren't necessary.  I like the idea of an
offline blog editor or being able to email an entry.  Since I can login
with ssh, limiting email to localhost only would be fine.

Again, is this too much to ask?  Am I missing something obvious?  I've
spent several years thinking about what my blog is and isn't so maybe
that's why I seem picky, but like I said, I don't need much.  I really
don't want to babysit my blog software, I just want to write when I feel
like writing.  I hope this gives a better idea of what I'm after and
sorry for the apparent confusion.