Ubuntu and Speakup

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Feb 15 18:38:11 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm sorry if I'm asking a question which has been discussed before, but
I searched both ubuntu.com and Google without finding any definite
answer.

I would like to try the live CD with Speakup.  I would also like to try
Gnome but my primary interest is in console access with a hardware
synth.  I saw a mention in the wiki that Speakup would be included but
nowhere were there instructions on how to boot the CD with Speakup
support.  I read here recently that it's possible to get a talking X
setup but that's not really what I'm after.  Is there a live CD with
Speakup built-in?  What CD image should I get?  I assume 7.10 desktop
but this wasn't stated anywhere.

I ran into similar problems trying to figure out how to start the Debian
installer with Speakup.  The search engine is disabled and Google showed
hits either not in English, related to Sarge only, or bug reports but no
actual instructions on how to start the Debian install CD with Speakup.
I found definite mentions that Sarge and I think Etch do come with it
built-in but it was a bit vague.  I admit that I haven't thoroughly read
the installation manual etc.

Finally, does someone have a download location for grml?  It looked
interesting but apparently the download page wasn't compatible with
Lynx.  I looked for links to .iso files but didn't find any, but I
didn't spend a lot of time looking.  I would like a US mirror.  I would
be using a DEC-Talk Express, 256 MB of RAM, and a 1.7 GHZ processor I
think.  Windows is the main OS and it's important that my data isn't
overwritten by a live CD.  I know live CDs aren't supposed to do that
but grml had many mentions of installing to a hard disk.

Thanks all for your help.