some php problems

Geoff Shang Geoff at quitelikely.com
Sun Feb 17 02:16:06 UTC 2008

Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:

> I've gotten some php problems.
> I want to install mysql,apache and php under linux.
> but I get php4 instead of php5.
> I've gotten both of them installed right now.
> how do I edit this thing?

Presumably the problem is that Apache is using the wrong version of PHP.
If you're using Apache2, try installing libapache2-mod-php5 or if using
apache1.3 install libapache-mod-php5.  This should remove the PHP 4 version
as it is a conflict.

> also, is there a version of phpadmin, that works with php5?

I assume you mean phpmyadmin.  Phpmyadmin works with both, and the version
in Etch will work with whichever is installed.

> And finally, my friend(it's his server) is talking about something he calls bear.
> how do I install that?

Sounds like it's pear.  Just install the php-pear package.  There are also
a lot of pear extensions that are available in Debian as packages, so if he
wants particular extensions you might be able to simply install those
extension packages and php-pear will be pulled in along with them.

> I'm using debian. the latest lenny version.

Note that I'm using Etch so there may be a few differences.

Geoff.