Orca installation

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 17 10:54:00 UTC 2008

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, Moritz wrote:

> Hi everyone
> I'm new on this list, so first: Hi everyone.

Hi,

> I have a question about braille displays with Orca. Which braille drivers are
> available for Orca? I have a Baum and a Alfa braille display and I haven't
> succeeded yet installing one of them. Can anyone give me some advise?

Use brltty.
Get them going in a text-console before messing with orca.
Then enable braille in orca.

Orca uses brltty so once brltty is talking to your display it will work.
I believe your displays are supported by brltty.
So go and have a look at the brltty manual on how to install brltty and
your display.
But most likely:
-Download and build brltty from source
or you can just install with apt:
apt-get install brltty

Then the following command should get braille displayed for you:
  brltty -b display_two_letter_code -d port -t braille_code

Ok that make sense?
Finally if your braille display is a "usb" display it should just work
when you plug it in and run brltty.
Note brltty needs to be ran as root.

Also two letter code and braille table as well as port is all described in
the manual. (The allowed values...)

Once you get braille working here then just enable braille in orca.
Start brltty and then orca and it should work.
Brltty must be started before orca.

HTH,

--
Daniel Dalton