some php problems

Geoff Shang Geoff at quitelikely.com
Mon Feb 18 10:36:05 UTC 2008

Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:

> one last question. where does my sql server store it's passwords?
> I forgot what i entered as password when installing, because it was a so long
> time ago.
> and how doI change it?

Depends whether you mean the root password or a user password.

User passwords are stored in the mysql database, in the user table.

You can change a user password by using the following query:

set password for 'user'@'localhost' = password('newpassword');

Note that mysql usually has two entries, one for user at yourhostname and one
for user at localhost.  You may want permissions to be different for each of
these depending on your security requirements.

Note also that you can change the root password this way *if* you can login
as root.

By default, root has no password so if you haven't changed it, "mysql -u
root" should get you in as root.

If you *have* set the root password and can't remember what it is and
haven't granted yourself all root privs as a user account, read
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html

Geoff.