Some Questions about Ubuntu and Orca

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Feb 25 16:55:29 UTC 2008

Hi,

Sorry for posting to both lists, but since a lot of people seem
interested, I am trying to reach the widest audience possible.

Warning!  Warning!  The accessibility instructions given for Ubuntu are
wrong!  They will not work as expected.  Specifically, the Ubuntu
accessibility docs say to do the following at the boot prompt: press F5,
the number 3, and Enter twice.  Again, I repeat that will not work!  I
got sighted help to verify this.  Instead, you have to hit F5, down
arrow three times, and Enter twice.  The number 3 will not work and I
think it starts the magnifier but not speech.  It will take a very long
time to boot.  When it is finished, you will hear a sound.  If you're
lucky, Orca will start automatically.  However, one computer wouldn't
start Orca even with sighted help.  I had to wait a few minutes after I
heard the sound, press Alt+F2, type "orca" and Enter.  That worked.  I
have no idea how to adjust the volume on the sound card from within Gnome.

Regarding your other question, you can only use the supplied software
speech from the CD.  You might be able to use others after installation,
I don't know.  For interactive fiction, I prefer the console and I don't
know about Gnome but I don't recall seeing anything that runs under it.
You can of course check the IF Archive:
http://mirror.ifarchive.org/if-archive/interpreters/  For an audio
player, I suggest Mplayer.