Question about installing bootloader

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Jan 11 10:03:12 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Which bootloader is better, grub or lilo?  I never got grub to work when
I tried it so I just stuck with lilo.  I'm running Debian Etch.  When I
originally set the machine up, it was running Woody, then Sarge and now
Etch.  I don't really need Speakup support and I'm using the stock
Debian 2.6.18-5-686 kernel.  It seems that lilo is being phased out.  It
hasn't really been updated since Sarge from what I can tell.  The
machine is a dedicated Linux server running Apache and Qmail.  There are
no other operating systems on it and stability is critical as it's in a
corporate environment.  All access is done with ssh.  Should I look into
changing to grub or leave well enough alone?  Also, do any stock Debian
kernels come with Speakup built in?  Nothing in the package descriptions
say anything about Speakup.  Sarge had a 2.4.x Speakup kernel but it
never got security updates.