quick email question

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Tue Jan 15 10:34:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Daniel Dalton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to send email from alpine with 2 or more email addresses?
> So like thunderbird I can select the from address when I am composing?
> Or do I just need another user account for this?
You can look at the configuration options for rolls.
Rolls is what is used for what you want to do.
Creating another account is however the easiest by far.

> And two more questions:
> -How can I check what word the spell checker is talking about in alpine when I
> am looking at the suggestions?
I am not sure if the word is highlighted, you can check by switching
highlight tracking on, but i find that just after having typed a message,
the suggestions would remind you just by hearing them.
Most of the time but not always, the word in question is in the top line
on your screen.
> -What is the best thing to do if I need to attach files to emails from another
> user's home directory?
By default, you will not have access to another user's home directory, so
you would need to give read rights to the emailing user on the other
user's directory first.
After pressing control-j, in the attachment field, you can press control-t
to get to the files if you do not know the filename well enough to just
type:
/home/otheruser/file.txt.
In the file browser which comes up on pressing control-t, you have an
option to go to the parent directory which would by default be /home.  You
can then search for the user name and enter on that and then search for
the file you want to attach.
 > And one more thing
> What is the default chmod number for a text file allowed to be edited by
> anyone?
chmod 777  filename
This will give anyone permission to do anything with the file.  Just
remember that not only the file, but the directory it is contained in,
must have the correct permissions.
HTH, Willem