ot: lynx friendly survey sites?

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Wed Jan 16 11:22:45 UTC 2008

> A question about these alternatives, as I am not our web person.
> What is the basic setup one would require to use any of them in house?

For at least the PHP ones, it's usually pretty easy.  Assuming
you have an Apache+PHP+MySQL setup (which comes pretty readily on
a Linux/BSD box, but can be added to a Windows machine fairly
easily via the XAMPP project), it usually just involves creating
a directory in your "/var/www" or wherever your web-root ends up.
 Then just unpack the PHP software in that folder and follow the
directions.  This usually means just editing a few config files
to point at the DB you've installed...some PHP installs even take
care of editing their config files for you.

As an alternative to setting up your own LAMP stack, you can
often find budget (under $4/month) web-hosting that offers PHP
and MySQL, some even with short-term contracts or a satisfaction
guarantee.  This would allow you to sign up, drop in your survey
software (perhaps the common cPanel/Fantistico management
software has a default survey/poll software setup that you can
use with a mere click) and try it out.  If it doesn't work to
your satisfaction, just cancel.

>>  Lime Survey:  http://www.limesurvey.org/

I just recently had an opportunity to try a survey someone had
set up using Lime Survey and it was a bit borked if you didn't
have JS turned on.  There might be ways to design a survey that
didn't use JS, but it might be non-trivial.

I haven't had a chance to try the others in my list (other than
hand-cranking a survey in Python/Django but the deployment is far
more involved)

>>  UCCASS:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/uccass/

I'd try them next if I had an opportunity.

Hope this helps further.

-tim