Quick question before I do something silly?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Jan 18 07:27:01 UTC 2008

I normally don't post "I agree" type messages, but I do agree in this
case.  I had a hard time getting the boot floppy to work with speech.
Granted most of my trouble had to do with Microsoft Virtual PC which I
resorted to after I couldn't get Bochs or Qemu to work, but it would
have been helpful to have something already done.  I see no problem with
leaving JAWS for DOS on there as HJ released it as freeware in I think
1997.  It was long before FS bought them.  It might be public domain for
all I know but probably not.  I had full manuals and zips of the program
disks at one time but I'm sure FS pulled them by now.  There was no
activation or anything else required.  The only concern I see is making
sure kernel.sys and the command shell get updated in a reasonably timely
manner to avoid FAT32 driver issues and the like.  I played with a very
early version of FreeDOS which had stability problems, and even the
kernel shipping with 1.0 could use bug fixes.