Linux without sighted help

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Jan 27 08:50:12 UTC 2008

There is no guarantee that this will actually work, but if you're
running XP Pro or better, try Microsoft Virtual PC.  You can boot
virtual CD images that way and that might work.  Your best bet would be
software speech since XP does weird things with your serial port.  Just
make sure to emulate a virtual sound card.  Note that I haven't actually
tried this but I got a FreeDOS boot floppy to boot this way.  You could
also try VMWare, Bochs, and Qemu but I've had the best luck with
Microsoft Virtual PC.  Note that VPC won't run on XP Home or Windows 9X.