speech output

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Mon Jan 28 07:19:49 UTC 2008

Hi,
Unless you plan on doing a lot of new kernel builds and stuff, you can do
well with software speech.
Espeak is a software synthesizer which is now a days very popular.  It is
miles better than flite and supported by all the speech applications like
speakup, emacspeak, orca etc.
There is a sapi version for windows so you can give it a spin there.
See http://espeak.sf.net/test/latest.html for the latest version.
You can also these days buy a version of IBM Viavoice now knows as
ttsynth, from Janina and elsewhere.
As far as Linux distributions go, the easiest ones to get going with
speech seem to be Ubuntu 7.4/feisti and grml, but you can get software
speech going with most linuxes if you put in enough effort.
HTH, Willem