[Fwd: Puppy Linux]

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Jan 28 09:44:56 UTC 2008

Yes, unless there is either a. no sound card, b. no supported kernel
driver, c. no speakers, or d. the person doesn't understand the language
of the prompt. It's a nice idea, but I suspect the Mac has better out of
the box sound card support. Linux will support sound cards via alsa
drivers but I never could get it to work when I tried except for very
basic wave files on a generic SB16. Maybe a better way would be to probe
the serial ports for a hardware synthesizer but that could screw up
other serial devices. I think the best bet would be a beep through the
PC speaker after the system is booted and waiting at a prompt. That
still isn't perfect as newer computers don't have PC speakers or they
are very quiet but it's better than no feedback at all.