RSS readers and podcatchers

David Csercsics aarg at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 30 03:42:33 UTC 2008

Geoff Shang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I must be one of the last people on Earth to dip my towe in both of
> these particular ponds, but I am finally doing it and would like
> suggestions of software to use for reading RSS feeds and downloading
> podcasts. I've found Snownews for RSS feeds and plan on looking at it
> (it sounds like the kind of thing I'm looking for). Have not
> investigated podcatching at all.
>
> I'm looking for text-mode software, not Gnome.

I run bashpodder from a cron job for podcasts and i usually use snownews
which generally does a good job for RSS, though you need extensions for
it to handle atom feeds correctly.  Rss2email works, however, it'll fill
your inbox in a hurry if you subscribe to a large number of feeds as I
do. I already get a lot of mail as it is so this is not handy. I also
find rss2email to be a bit clunky because it emails you the url for the
article but you then have to paste that to a browser to actually look at
the content. This doesn't seem useful when you could get an RSS reader
like snownews and just press o after you've looked at the description
which will happily put you in your favourite browser and give you the info.