RSS readers and podcatchers

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Jan 30 09:08:48 UTC 2008

Hi,

My solution for both is rss2email which is a Debian package and requires
Python.  As the name implies, it parses rss feeds and sends you email.
I've been using it since 2005 with success.  It isn't a podcast client
in the traditional sense but it supports enclosures so you can access
them as you would regular links.  I use Mutt and can go into urlview,
arrow to the link I want and open it in Lynx.  If it's an mp3 file, it
gives the usual save to disk options and the download prompt.  That's
just my solution but I've been happy with it.  You'll want a local mail
server, otherwise you could be sending hundreds of messages through a
remote smtp server.  I'm currently pulling about 80 feeds and I get
about 300 messages per day.  I created a special, private rss email
address for the purpose.