Mp3Blaster-and-WhiteNoise?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Jun 15 09:57:52 UTC 2008

Hart Larry wrote:
> Trying to figure out a good subject-line for this question.  I have an
> mp3blaster sound-card, running alsa in FC6 console.  Some years ago if
> I were not playing any audio, I could still hear some white noise when
> I turned up the volume on these powered speakers.  Well, now it is
> quiet unless I am playing audio or video.  I mostly have to use m
> player as it has a grapic equalizer--and I can crank up the highs.
> Just wondering if there's a way to enable the amplifier all the time?

Hi,

Have you tried amixer?  That's designed to show all the controls for
your sound card.  Try this:

amixer controls
amixer contents
man amixer

I prefer aumix but that doesn't show every control.  Once you figure out
what control it is, do something like this:

amixer set Master playback 100,100

I am unfamiliar with your sound card but amixer is part of ALSA so the
above should work.