screen: cut and paste

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Sat Jun 21 12:19:36 UTC 2008

> Oh ok, how do I append? Or did you say that already?

While in scroll-back mode (the control+A left-sq-bracket) mode,
press the letter "a".

The man-page on screen details a lot more of the scroll-back
capabilities in the section on "copy".  If "less" is your
man-pager, you can use

   /^\s*copy$

to search for start of the section in the man-page.  There are a
lot of other features such as controlling line-joining, copying
various-shaped blocks (rectangular, character-wise and
line-wise), showing line-numbers, append-mode, writing to the
"screen-exchange" file, and swapping which end-point the cursor
is on.  I don't use most of them, but it's helpful to know
they're there.

-tim