Working Through File Command?

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 4 15:14:42 UTC 2008

I'm not sure I understand your request. Are you saying you want to use the
file command to identify files of a certain type and delete only those
files? You probably can do anything you like via a combination of the find,
file, grep, and xaarg commands.

The following line will delete all PDF documents in a directory tree (except
for ones with a space in the name).

find . -exec file {} \; | grep 'PDF document' | cut -d':' -f1 | xargs rm -f

You'd want to replace the string "PDF document" with whatever string file
uses to describe your documents.