kernel source

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Mar 7 09:23:28 UTC 2008

Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:
> I want to install the kernel sources in debian lenny. and then install
> speakup.
> I can't find the package cointaining them.
> what apt package is it?

Hi,

There is no "apt" package.  "apt" is not a package or a packaging
system, it is a front-end to dpkg which handles .deb packages.  It
doesn't matter though as you won't find it because it doesn't exist.
You can get the kernel source with apt but you'll have to apply Speakup
patches yourself.  Just how you do that is unknown to me, but they no
longer use cvs.  You have to install git and use it to pull the latest
Speakup sources.  From there, there should be a script to patch 2.6.24
kernels.  The Speakup list is a better place to ask about this.  I
haven't compiled a custom kernel in a long time and I couldn't get git
to work.  You could also try the grml kernels which have Speakup already
patched.  Go to http://deb.grml.org/pool/main/l/ and look at the
linux-image* packages.  I don't know if you can directly import grml
kernels into Debian unstable or not, I've never tried.  I installed grml
from the live CD and it is basically Debian unstable with some
additional packages so it might work.  If all else fails, you can go
back to your old kernel assuming you make proper backups and your boot
manager is configured to let you boot the old kernel.  Good luck and let
us know if you can figure out how to get the Speakup sources from git.
One final note: I think the git Speakup sources only work with 2.6.24
kernels, I'm not sure if 2.6.23 or earlier is still supported.  I don't
think unstable has 2.6.24 yet.