grml

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Mar 11 13:52:44 UTC 2008

Josh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone on this list use grml?

Hi,

Yes.  I installed it to my hard disk in its own partition.  I'm
reasonably happy with it, but I'm still having problems with X.  If you
run grml2hd to install, do "aptitude update" and "aptitude upgrade
grml2hd" first.  You might want sighted help for the install because
Speakup doesn't always tell you what the default choice is, even with
cursor tracking.  I kep hearing "OK" even though there was a big list of
language choices on the screen.  When I got to the language selection,
US English was the default but the cursor was on Austrian.  I had
someone reading the screen so he told me that English was the default,
saving me the time of arrowing down through a bunch of choices only to
find that was the default to begin with.  Especially be careful if
installing to hard disk as it will overwrite whatever partition you
select and again it doesn't always read correctly.  I ran parted first
to resize and set up my partitions for the install but I don't know if
that's necessary or not.  You'll also have to pick a boot loader, either
lilo or grub.  Read the man pages to decide which is best.  Also, you
asked about text games a while ago.  It doesn't have any interactive
fiction interpreters that I found, but look at the bsdgames package.
That's probably what you want.  Do "aptitude show bsdgames" and
"aptitude show nethack."  Nethack is another very popular text game but
takes some getting used to in terms of navigating.