speechd-up help please

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 13 10:34:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:

> Hello!
> I've got a working speakup kernel here, and I've installed speech dispatcher 0.6.5

That would be my kernel. :-)

> But now when running make in the speechd-up directory it complains about
> expected declaration speciers before wchar.

I'm not sure.
Its usually a good idea when running configure to look for the errors.
This will pipe all errors to ~/errors-conf.speechd-up:
./configure 2> ~/errors-confs.speechd-up
Now open it up in your text editor perhaps emacs and review it.

The easiest solution which I did though would be to:
-Ask me for my sources.list file off  list and then just type this
command:
sudo apt-get install flite espeak speechd-up speech-dispatcher
Its good to have flite to get a system to talk then you can use your
proper synth.
And its kind of nice to have espeak...
Don't get espeak if you don't want it though.
I think the nearer you want to add to /etc/apt/sources.list is:
deb http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/debian/ ./
Thats the line: the nearer is
something like this;
  http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/debian/
But the line
deb http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/debian/ ./
Added to sources.list will work.

But it still makes me wonder why the fokes at debian haven't added
speech-dispatcher at least in their repo.
Or have they?

> what is this?

Dunno, Be sure to look for configure script errors though.
And it may just be a lot easier to do what I said add the nearer and
install speechd-up that way.

> please help

Hope this helps and let me know if you need more help,

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
d.dalton at iinet.net.au