brltty - cut and paste question

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 14 09:44:39 UTC 2008

Hi Geoff,

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Geoff Shang wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> You're right that BrlTTY and Speakup can only cut what is visible on the
> screen.  This is because cut and paste in an application doesn't cut to an
> equivalent of a windows clipboard, and cut and paste in screen access
> programs can only see what is on screen at the time.

Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying that.
Your a brltty user?
I thought you were just speakup since most of your posts were on that.

> The way I get around what you're asking about is to use the command to read a
> text file into a message (control-r in pine/alpine for example) and either

Oh BTW  speaking of alpine (should probably be in a separate thred.) why
doesn't speakup say the character that I just back spaced?
And is there a way to select text and delete it?
So maybe mark a top mark and then a bottom mark on a paragraph of text?
Like in emacs with ctr space ctr w and meder w...

> edit it in there or save the bit I want into its own text file first and then
> read it in.

Ah ok. Thanks that did the trick.
Are there any other cases that I may need to read a text file?
Any programs that I may need to do this in?

Thanks for the reply.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/