volume help please

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Tue Mar 18 12:12:12 UTC 2008

This can be a difficult one, but here is what I normally do:
1.  Run aumix -q
This list all the sound controls it thinks your machine has with their
settings.
If aumix give a command not found error, do apt-get install aumix
or the equivalent on your distro.
2.  The microphone setting is usually set by using:
aumix -m 80
if you want to set it to 80.
You can just query the microphone setting with:
aumix -mq
Mine currently for example gives:
mic 0, 0, R
The R says that it is set for recording.  If it is a P, or no setting, you
should set it to R with:
aumix -m R

3.  With a value of 80 and R at the end, you should get at least an
audible recording.
I have also had to change the values of i think output gain on one box to
get anything recorded.

If you have had no luck up to this point, you might need to play with
amixer and that can be quite a mission.
HTH, Willem