Braille displays

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 26 13:28:00 UTC 2008

I've never seen one of these braille displays. Do they replace your regular
keyboard? If not, then I would imagine you have to switch back & forth
between the keyboard and the braille display. But I would guess they somehow
make that easy. It would be inefficient if the display was off to the side
and you had to turn your shoulders to reach it.   Or maybe you read the
braille display with one hand and then it wouldn't be any less convenient
than a mouse. I've always imagined that they're sort of like a laptop
keyboard with a touchscreen. I don't know if you've ever seen one of those
but beneath the keyboard on my laptop is a tiny touchscreen that you're
supposed to use instead of the mouse. I figured that on a braille display,
the braille is beneath the spacebar. So all you have to do is move your
hands down a little from the home row. Or it could be above the function
keys which would have the same effect.

Well, why am I guessing? I should just let someone tell me how they work.