volume for espeak

Hynek Hanke hanke at brailcom.org
Thu Mar 27 10:43:01 UTC 2008

Daniel Dalton napsal(a):
> How do I adjust the volume using the standard espeak module in sd?
> In /etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak.conf
> Sorry about all the questions.
>
> I want to make espeak talk louder with out affecting my standard sound.
> I know how to do this in the generic espeak, but not in espeak.conf.
> So for example it should adjust espeak's volume, but not mplayer's...
You should be able to configure change volume in the application (Orca or
whatever). However, the default of Speech Dispatcher itself in speechd.conf
(DefaultVolume option) is the maximum volume possible (100). So propably
if this value is not lowered in the mentioned config file or in your client,
you will need to lower the mplayer volume instead and raise the overall
volume level in your mixer.

There is currently no good way how to change the relative volumes
of applications on the Linux desktop in general (unrelated to Speech
Dispatcher or whatever). Hopefully with PulseAudio, these problems
will be solved in a more comfortable way in the future.

With regards,
Hynek Hanke