[orca-list] dual boot and grub?

Georgina Joyce gena at mga.demon.co.uk
Tue May 13 12:48:07 UTC 2008

Hi

I use a separate boot partition which all distribution's use.  To keep
it tidy I have sub-directories within..
Thus /boot/fedora /boot/Ubuntu /boot/debian etc...  Grub offers great
flexibility like this because within any environment you can manipulate
the /boot/grub/menu.lst.  But be ware that some installers but
a /boot/grub/grub.comf so when changes are made in menu.lst they are not
evoked.

Then you obviously need to tell grub where the kernel is located that
you wish to load.

Example: kernel (hd0,0)/Ubuntu/vmlinuz....

I've had lots of problems with grub and don't really like it.  But I use
it because of this flexibility.

It is common to use the first partition as the boot partition.  Unless
Windows is present as it's simpler to let Windows have it's way and
occupy the first sectors of the disk.  I've given 500Mb for the boot
partition.

See my previous on Ubuntu Fedora partition identifiers UUID problem.
Don't reinstall a boot loader if one is running correctly.  It can cause
real problems.

HTH

Gena

--