Console based linux.

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Tue May 27 20:29:34 UTC 2008

> Can anyone recomend any linux that only come as a console-based interface.

As you mention, Debian will do quite nicely.  For a while I had
an ancient laptop (P133 with 32 megs of memory) that ran console
Debian.  It worked fairly well -- minus the lousy battery.

> Debian of course is but how about gento or how do you spell it?

Yes, Gentoo should work just fine from the console, as would any
number of distros such as Red Hat/Fedora, Slackware (my first
distro), and others.

Personally, I've used the power of "apt-get" in Debian and it's
hard to go back to other distros.

> Can  you install gento with speech or braille?

I'm nearly certain that it's possible to use speech/braille with
most distros, however, the ability to use them during the
installation process is a bit more particular.  Most that allow
for it provide a specialized/modified boot-CD to accommodate.

-tim