Electronic Books about PHP and mysql

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Nov 21 22:07:18 UTC 2008

Tim Chase writes:
> What level are you starting at? Beginner programmer? Experienced
> application developer but new to web or database coding? There are a lot
> of
> good resources for free on the web, but it would help to know where you're
> coming from. Particularly the answers to the following:
>

> - do you have *any* programming experience? (shell scripting, a rusty
> college Pascal class, or whatever)

	Yes. I have been programming in C for about 15 or 16
years and have also done some assembly language programming for
the 8086, 68HC11, PIC microcontrollers and even the 6502.

	My background is not computer science, however, so I am
sure there are big holes in my knowledge base and yes, I did
take a college pascal course years ago and even used it once to
fix some code related to the Motorola 68HC11 evaluation boards.
That was in about 1991.

	I run our campus domain name servers and DHCP servers
which all run FreeBSD UNIX and I use Linux here in my office and
at home so I write shell scripts for things that don't really
need C.

	Recently, I got thrown in to the ocean so to speak and
inherited some servers that have php and sql as well as apache
on them and I have never felt so stupid in my life.

	When I look at php code, I can pretty much tell what it
is trying to do but I really no very little about fixing it yet
and the natives are getting restless.

	It's been about 3 weeks since I asked these questions
and I greatly appreciate all of the answers I have gotten
including the links to free documentation. There is money to be
spent but let's try the free stuff first. Sometimes, it is the
best. I just needed a good place to start from.

	Oh yes. I have dabbled in html and even put up some very
simple pages so I just need to bring it all together a little
more systematically.

	This is a good list and thanks again.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer