Ecasound Syntax Can you Listen to what you are Editing?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Sat Nov 29 05:15:13 UTC 2008

	Is it possible to edit a sound file under ecasound and
store the parts one wants to keep at the same time while
monitoring the master?

	The documentation seems to state that you can send the
output to multiple locations. In this case, one is the new file
that contains a subset of the master and the other is the sound
card.

	After a long evening of syntax war, the closest thing
that will actually load is:

ecasound -c -i input.wav -o alsa -o output.wav

This silently copies the input to the output and, if you
fast-forward X number of seconds, the output file has X number
of seconds of dead silence before the sound starts. The start of
the sound is at the right place but I am obviously doing
something very wrong because I have never gotten it to both play
and record simultaneously. The sound card is capable of this so
if it can work, it should.

	Any ideas are appreciated.

Martin McCormick