Getting started with Linux

krishnakant Mane krmane at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 12:23:44 UTC 2008

hi robert and Karl.
Robert, I  completely agree what Karl said.
I am into using, administering and programming in GNU/Linux for about
last 6 years.
But after ubuntu and its accessibility seriousness from the associated
development community, I just can't recommend any thing else as a
totally blind person myself.
Heck, I am telling windows users to shift to ubuntu.  Note that
argueablly windows till date had the best accessibility for blind
users in terms of screen reader superiority and state-of-the-art
accessibility infrastructure.  But today the free software community
which works on the "free as in freedom " principle, has built up a
much better superior and scientific accessibility infrastructure for
gnome desktop.

Orca, the screen reader initiated and actively developed by the team
at sun micro system is a free screen reader which is on many distros
running the gnome desktop.
But ubuntu went one step ahead and got it on the live cd so that a
blind person has accessibility right away.
Further more ubuntu can be installed by a totally blind person without
any sited assistance, thanks to orca.
in addition, Firefox web browser, openoffice, and pidgin internet
messenger are perfectly accessible.
even adding and removing software is pritty easy.
You will find a accessibility paradise in ubuntu.
And the #orca irc channel on irc.gnome.org is always active.
even the ubuntu irc channel is always live.
Orca has a very good mailing list and every one of us will be glad to help you.
so try ubuntu and let us know.
happy hacking.
Krishnakant.