nano with cursor on thing to be replaced

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Wed Sep 10 03:53:57 UTC 2008

On a related issue, alpine is available as a debian package.  It's an open
source version of pine and is a simple file download for debian users.
The reason to replace pine with alpine is that pine is proprietary and
only gets support when people at the university of washington find
problems and if you don't attend that university they're not interested in
any problems you have or might have with pine.  Alpine on the other hand
has a larger supported user base as does all open source software.
Alpine is even available for windows computers too.  You can also download
alpine-pico which nano replaced earlier in the form of pico and pilot.
Pilot is a file manager and is similar to fdclone and lfm if you know what
those are.  If not, you may have heard of midnight commander mc, well
these three alternatives are blind-friendly replacements for midnight
commander.