FTP servers

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Apr 5 14:24:19 UTC 2009

First, ncftp is not an ftp server.  Please check your terminology.  If
you mean ncftpd, it is not free and must be purchased unless you're an
educational site.

I prefer pure-ftpd because it's more secure and doesn't require config
files.  You can use a wrapper to support a config file if you want, but
it's not necessary.  It seems faster and more stable than Proftpd but
that could be my imagination.  I know that pure-ftpd hasn't had any
security advisories that I'm aware of, unlike proftpd.  The Internet
Archive used to use pure-ftpd when they offered ftp download support.