Running Linux under windows?

Karl Wilbur karl at karlwilbur.net
Sat Apr 11 19:40:39 UTC 2009

There are several virtualization tools that run under Windows which allow
you to install and run linux on a virtual machine. (VM Ware, VirtualBox,
etc.).

If you decided to re-partition your drive and create a dual-boot system
where at boot-time you decide which OS to load, you will have to re-install
Windows on the re-sized partition -- unless you use a partition manager like
Partition Magic. Such a tool would allow you to re-size your Windows
partition and create some free space without the need to reinstall. You'd
then install linux in the free space. To get the Winodws boot-loaded to
bootstrap the linux OS, you'll need to edit the boot.ini (?) file. (Google
is your friend.)

If you end up re-partitiong without reinstalling, you should not experience
any issues with Jaws. However, if you do have to re-install you will nuke
Jaws and have to re-install Jaws. It would not invalidate your license but
since it has wipped you installation and confuration of Jaws, it might be a
pain getting it installed and reconfigured.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Hart Larry <chime at hubert-humphrey.com>wrote:

> Hi All:  I remember years ago there was zipspeak, but when I look at their
> page, mentions Matt Cambell, the version seems to be from 2000?  So please
> tell me in 2009 what similar packages are available to run under windows
> vista?
> You see they tell me that if I re-partission my drive it will nuke the jaws
> license?  So I thought for the laptop maybe running something like zipspeak
> would be fine.  Obviously years ago we ran Vocal-Eyes under windows, so
> seemingly this would still run as a concept.
> As far as speech, I am happy with Eliquence, Dec-Talk, as well as some of
> the Sapi4-and-5 female voices
> Thanks in advance
> Hart

Karl Wilbur