Running Linux under windows?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Apr 14 10:36:33 UTC 2009

My info comes from a sighted person who installed it when I was there.
I didn't install it because I wanted to see if it was what they
claimed.  It wasn't.  They imply that it runs directly from Windows and
requires nothing special including grub.  I don't know what bootloader
it uses since the person installing isn't that much of a computer
person, but I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be lilo.  It does require a
reboot into Linux and another boot back into Windows to uninstall.  From
a blind prospective, there is no way of knowing that grub was installed
or how to access it.  It doesn't beep or have any significant boot delay
that I could tell.  It apparently shows a menu letting you choose which
OS you want.  Even on the first boot into Linux, there is no speech and
no beep, so it would still require sighted help for an initial setup.
It's too bad because I would like to give Ubuntu a fair try but not at
the cost of repartitioning again.  For now, the best bet for the blind
is probably a virtual machine, but if sighted help is available, wubi
might be fine.  I would like more information from people who actually
got it to work with Orca.  They imply that you can launch it from
Windows but that's untrue.  You must shut down Windows first, making it
more difficult for the blind.  I suppose once you're into Linux and you
get Orca started, you could edit your menu.lst to beep and such, but
this wouldn't be obvious to someone reading the wubi site unless one had
previous Linux experience.  Considering the market for wubi, it is doubtful.