Running Linux under windows?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Apr 16 17:17:20 UTC 2009

No, for a few reasons.  First, it isn't officially part of Debian or
Ubuntu and I'm not sure how often it's updated or how often new packages
are added.  Second, my quick reading of the site is that it's a live CD
which I don't want, although I read here that it is also a virtual
machine.  Third, my hardware can't handle a VM right now and I already
have a dedicated Linux machine with Debian.  Finally, I just haven't had
the time to look at it except for a minute, so there could be a lot that
I'm missing.  Also, as a matter of my own opinion, I dislike the idea of
running a special distro designed for a particular disability, in this
case the blind.  I would much rather use a mainline distro such as
Debian which includes a lot of the same accessibility tools already
available as packages or Ubuntu which installs Orca by default.  The
sighted public don't use a special distro especially for them, so why
should I use one especially for the blind?  Samuel Thibault has done a
tremendous amount of work with Debian accessibility to the point that
even the installer works with hardware speech and plans are being made
to support software speech as well.  Since Ubuntu pulls from Debian and
Vinux borrows from Ubuntu, why not just go to the source in the first
place?  By source, I don't mean source code, I mean the source of the
packages, specifically Debian.