Changing keyboard layout

David CSercsics aarg at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 2 18:21:41 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 07:44:36PM +0200, Christian wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have just installed Debian Squeeze and there seems to be a problem with the keyboard layout.
> I select that I have a Swedish keyboard during the installation. But when the installation is finished and hte system reboots it is set to US. In gnome I can easely adjust so that I have Swedish keyboard layout within Gnome, but how do I change it for the console?

I'm surprised that it doesn't do this correctly for you. What you need to
do is tel your init system that you're using a different keymap. Iirc on
Debian systems the easiest way to do that is dpkg-reconfigure console-data
as root. I haven't used Debian in a while so things may have changed. But
I'm sure somebody else knows how to do that if that's not the correct
command.