hardware synthesizer

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Feb 16 15:43:09 UTC 2009

It is true that serial ports are rare on today's computers. But, it is
not true that you can't get a laptop or desktop with a serial port.

I have just finishing building a system for myself using an Asus P3-PH5
barebone case/mobo/ps. This particular mobo comes with a serial port
header, so that I only needed a $1.50 part to bring a DB9 port out to
the backplane.

Both MSI and Shuttle have barebone boxes that provide the DB9 on the
backplane out of the box.

I mention barebones, because that is what I've been shopping over the
last few months.

A colleague of mine has a Dell laptop with a serial port.

Often, you can get a serial port on a laptop docking station, even when
the laptop itself doesn't have a serial port. This is true of
Thinkpads--still my preferred laptops.

Lastly, I would caution you to not buy Axsol's Tripletalk for use with
Speakup. It used to work, but doesn't seem to currently. On the other
hand, the older (and cheaper) Doubletalk is still available, I believe,
from http://rcsys.com.

Janina