trouble installing vinux

josh jkenn337 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 21:34:18 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm having trouble installing vinux onto a test machine at the colorado center for the blind as a student tech project.
the live cd boots up fine, and when I go into applications with alt f1 and then to administration and then to install: it asks for the password so I type orca as the password and hit enter. And then I don't get any speech. I also tried the desktop icon which yielded similar results. I am useing the latest vinux. I also tried hitting control alt f1 to open a terminal which made speech go away entirely. but running terminal from the gnome accessories menu I think it is I have speech in that terminal and I'm logged in as orca.
Also is there a GUI or terminal/command line tool that will give me my system hardware specs? also is it difficult to configure ethernet with vinux or grml or adriane knoppix? if i cannot get vinux installed I will try adriane knoppix next since I hear it has excellent hardware detection.
Also will vinux or ubuntu 8.10 run on a netbook with the intel atom processor? 1gb of ram, 160gb hard drive and 1.6ghz processor with realtek hd audio realtek wireless and realtek ethernet?

Josh