virtual machine on netbook?

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Sat Feb 21 23:00:55 UTC 2009

> I have a sylvania netbook with 1gb of ram 160gb hard drive
> 1.6ghz processor.

Running what OS?  Trying to run a virtual-machine on a WinXP
machine while running things like anti-virus, anti-spyware,
screen-reader, etc may be a bit much for such a machine.
However, if you're running a stripped-down Linux on your
Sylvania, this may be enough to run a modest VM on it.

> Do you think this machine has enough memory to run vinux gnome
> with orca in a virtual machine?

(just for the record, it's "Linux" with an L, rather than "Vinux"
with a V)

It would likely be doable, but a bit tight.

> How much ram does gnome need?

I've run Gnome on a machine with only 128 megs of memory, but it
was pretty sluggish.  It runs well on my Dell Mini-9 netbook with
only 512 megs of memory.  So in theory, you could allot half your
gig of memory to the VM image and be able to run Gnome tolerably.
   I'm not sure how much overhead Orca entails.  However, you may
also be able to run Orca without the overhead of all-of-Gnome --
perhaps running a more light-weight window-manager.  I happen to
like Fluxbox on my older machines (particularly with the numerous
key-bindings I use to make apps just a key-chord away).

-tim