fluxbox

David Csercsics david at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 22 21:50:49 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 12:23:32AM -0600, Tim Chase wrote:

> fluxbox is only a window-manager, so it can work with whatever
> desktop-environment (Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc) you want.  I run fluxbox as
> my window manager and use bits of Gnome for things like my desktop icons
> (provided by Nautilus, though I could just as easily run some other
> program like PCManFM or Thunar to provide my desktop icons).  Thus any
> screen-reader that works with Gnome or KDE should work with fluxbox
> managing your windows.

What is the easiest way to set this up? I'd like to do something similar
here since I find that gnome eats memory and I only use a couple gtk
apps regularly. I'm guessing I'd have to put some script in .xinitrc or
something like that. If it matters I'm planning to build a custom Linux
distro here shortly and would like to get the most minimal GUI possible
which is still   accessible since I prefer the text mode  when I can
use it. Currently using Arch Linux but what I'm looking for shouldn't
be distro specific.