Converting wav2mp3?

David Csercsics aarg at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 10 06:46:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 06:48:10PM -0800, Hart Larry wrote:
> Well, would you believe I have tried wavpack, lame, ecasound, and
> scripts, but no matter what, when I rip a stream to a wav-and-convert,
> all the mp3 has is white noise.  The wav file says little indian, when I
> run a file command on it.
> So can some1 please provide the secret or a simple way to do this?
> I am obviously wasting alot of space storing waves instead of mp3s.
> Thanks so much in advance
I might suggest that you use ogg vorbis if these are music files because
you'll get better sounding files unless you have a reason not to use
that format for some reason. You can use oggenc which is part of the
vorbis-tools package for that. If you want mp3 then you want to use
lame. Have a look at the man pages and if you have more questions then
send a note.