Cygwin question

alex wallis alexwallis646 at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 29 14:54:14 UTC 2009

Hi.
Actually there is an alternative method to doing the manual way you
suggested.
I got annoyed yesterday with the hole gui thing, and wrote to the cygwin
packages list explaining the issues blind people face.
I got a very interesting e mail response back which I have pasted below.
very interesting I am sure you will agree.

Fortunately, the latest version of setup for 1.7 allows
package selection from the command line.
This is a _huge_ (ok maybe not that big) deal for users
exactly like you.
You can do things like:

setup -q -n -D -L %SITE% %LOCALDIR% %PACKAGES%

if you set up environment variables for SITE, LOCALDIR, and
PACKAGES.
Note that PACKAGES should be a comma separated list of packages
you want to install with NO SPACES between entries.
All the dependencies ar looked after automagically.

Good luck!

first off, does anyone no what that first lot of command line switches do
before the % bits where you have to enter the various options?
also, rightly or wrongly, I have tried entering the info about the packages
I want to download into a shortcut I created to the cygwin setup on my
desktop, along with all the info for the mirror site I want to use, and the
local folder. the setup runs, and it seems to download the base set of
packages no problem, but it completely ignores the list of custom packages I
have entered. does anyone have any thoughts why this might be?
Thanks for your help.
Alex.