updating fedora

Lars Bjørndal lars.bjorndal at broadpark.no
Tue Jun 23 12:26:08 UTC 2009

"John G. Heim" <jheim at math.wisc.edu> writes:

> I installed fedora 9 on a machine of mine. I am a debian guy and this
> is my first experience with fc. I tried to upgrade to fc 11  with a
> command something like "preupdate-cli "fedora11 (codename". I cannot
> remembver the code name.
>
> Anyway, it downloaded 11 Gb of stuff and said that the upgrade would
> continue after I rebooted. So I rebooted. But then I couldn't access
> my system. I had no speech at the console and no ssh.  I rebooted
> again and the system was definately messed up.
>
> What did I do wrong? Possibilities:
> 1. Didn't wait long enough after first reboot. Updates were still
> being installed.
> 2.   Can't update directly from fc9 to fc11.

The preupgrade process first downloads the packages. Then, after the
reboot, the anaconda installer is started up. I don't know if it's
possible, or how it could be possible to get braille or speech output
from there.

Personally I'm using yum upgrade to new versions, and that works fine.
Be aware that with yum upgrade, you cannot upgrade directly from F9 to
F11. For more information, search google for yum upgrade fedora.

Best regards,
Lars