podcast getting programs?

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 09:00:26 UTC 2009

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> In addition to djgpp, a dos version of python would be needed of the
> correct version as well as the screen program and a dos version of
> bittorrent.  Also, bittorrent will not work over dial up.

Why would someone need screen for this?

BitTorrent works fine over PPP.  It's just a protocol on top of UDP and TCP.
It won't work if you aren't able to exchange IP datagrams with the thing
at the other end of your connection, I.E., if you are connecting to
a shell account.  The same applies to HTTP or any other TCP/IP protocol,
and that's why shell accounts are so limiting.

I've never needed BitTorrent for downloading podcasts.  OTOH, I don't
do the podcast thing all that much, so maybe I've managed not to run across
one of the many that do use it.

Granted, I'd really be surprised if someone is using a podcatcher on DOS,
hence the use of words like "perhaps" in my original post!

Peace,
-- Chris