the $50 netbook

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 22:04:01 UTC 2009

John G. Heim wrote:
> I have a laptop with 56 Mb of ram running debian squeeze and a speakup
> enabled kernel. Runs like a charm. I've even run apache, samba, and mysql on
> it and still had no problems with response time. It's a beautiful thing.

I used to have a Toshiba laptop with a 166 MHz processor and 64 megs of
RAM.  The CD-ROM and hard drive eventually went south.
I used emacspeak + eflite on that little machine.  This was before Speakup
really gained solid support for software synthesis.  Anyway, it worked
beautifully.

Speaking of low-cost ARM-based devices, the "Louder Router" project
looks interesting [1].  These fine folks are trying to turn
OpenWRT-compatible wireless routers into talking computers.
I think they managed to run emacs with speechd-el on a router.
Unfortunately, I think that the project isn't active.

[1] http://louderlinux.net/

Peace,
-- Chris