New member

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Fri Oct 23 05:06:12 UTC 2009

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ has some useful material on it and links to
other useful material too. You could also try http://slackbook.org/ and
learn a bit on that site too.  You would do even better if you were to
hook up with a local linux users group; they would be able to show you how
to install your first Linux version and provide support for afterwards.
If you are interested in the Linux with the most packages that's
accessible (a good choice for someone new to Linux) you want debian.
Packages in this case means the most ready to use software out of the box.
If you do select debian, and you have an ethernet connection not a modem
connected to the telephone lines you probably want the netinst iso image
and you'll need to burn that iso image onto a CD or DVD.  If you can get
that installed, you want to install the debian-reference package (english
version) and start reading with a web browser at
/usr/share/local/doc/debian-reference/index.html and you'll also learn