[linux-slackware] why kernel upgrades succeed only for bear.i users

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sun Sep 20 02:48:08 UTC 2009

It might help if a kernel may be replaced to bring up a dialog with the
existing kernel variants on the screen and let the installer choose either
the kernel variant they're now using or one they want to use; if the
installer chooses a wrong vriant, they get to reinstall their system.
Then have whatever is about to replace the kernel go and see if the
installer's variant is available in this upgraded form.  If not, do not
replace the kernel.  If yes, and kernel modules are also available replace
the kernel with the variant upgrade and its appropriate kernel modules.
For those of us that don't use bare.i for whatever reasons, we can at
least get a smooth kernel replace that way or not if it shouldn't happen