Ripping Streams Directly to mp3?

Rudy Vener salt at panix.com
Mon Apr 26 13:04:31 UTC 2010

lame can  compress  directly from the standard input to the standard output
e.g.
	      cat inputfile | lame -r -m m -b 24 --resample 22.05 - - > output

so create a script called stream2mp3 liks so:
	      lame -r -m m -b 24 --resample 22.05 - -

then call your streaming process pipe it to stream2mp3 and redirect
to your output.mp3 file.

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:07:16PM -0700, Hart Larry wrote:
> This has been chalenging for several years.  I am useing  a script which
> uses mencoder to rip video to an avi  and audio streams to a wave.  Sure
> the finished product plays nicely, but since its in .wav formatif that
> wave file runs more than 3hours, lame will not handle it, won't even know
> its there.
> So, in reality on May 06 I want to record the stream of Sky-News during
> British Elections, directly to an mp3.  Mp3 is the final format I keep
> most of my audio news-coverage in.  In mp3 I can record many more hours
> of:
> mms://live2.wm.skynews.servecast.net/skynews_wmlz_audio
> Can some1 please suggest a direct way of doing this without making waves.
>  I am still in FC9
> Thanks so much in advance
> Hart

Rudy Vener, Owner and founder
Pizza Galaxy - Online ordering and Email marketing for
independent restaurants.
Phone: (203) 230-9662
Website: http://www.pizzagalaxy.com

Restaurant owners, boost your sales with new
customers, increased visits and expanded ticket size with
Pizza Galaxy's Online Ordering and E-mail Marketing.
Get our free report: The Top 7 Ways for Restaurants to get
Customers Online. Go to
http://www.pizzagalaxy.com/top7ways.html
to get your free copy.

see for yourself  how customers hear about restaurant online
ordering by following us on  Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/pizzagalaxy