Installing Mercurial on CentOS

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Mon Aug 2 17:51:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010, John J. Boyer wrote:

> I downloaded the source for Mercurial 1.6. The build gave an error
> message that it couldn't find Python.h I downloaded Python 3.1.2 That
> put Python.h on the system, but it couldn't complete itself because it
> couldn't find things to make modules like _curses and readline Mercurial
> still can't find Python.h The OS is up to date, as far as the yum
> repository goes. I really just want Mercurial, so I can use it on the
> BrailleBlaster project. I think I announced that on this list a couple
> of weeks ago.

Hi,

As someone else said, there really should be a mercurial package to
install.  But in case there isn't:

1.  I'd use a Python 2.x version (e.g. the latest 2.6.x version) as Python
3 is a new beast.  At least check which version is required.  It'll either
be 2 or 3, but not either.

The other things sound like you need extra libs installed, and chasing
them might be a bit of a job, hence the package suggestion.  You'll also
probably need python suport for them as well.  If you do decide to go this
route, you'll probably need devel packages of each relevant package.

Geoff.